Do you know an early childhood centre, school or community group that’s doing great restoration work or wants to get started and doesn’t know how? The Habitat Heroes resources and 2017 competition is a great place to start!
The Habitat Heroes Competition is a DOC run competition that encourages young people to explore a local natural environment and think about how they can make a difference.
This year’s competition opened on the 18th April and runs until the 29th September, with winners being announced during Conservation Week. Up for grabs will be three $500 voucher prizes to contribute to the conservation action project identified in the entry. There will be prizes for each of the following categories:
- Explore your local green space
- Explore your local marine space
- Explore your local stream
To enter, groups of two or more students need to:
- Get a teacher or group leader to register the group online.
- Explore and investigate the health of a local natural environment. There are great teaching and learning resources available to help guide teachers and group leaders.
- Share a summary of the work on any online forum (school blog, YouTube, Facebook etc.) or social media platform with the hashtag #HabitatHeroes and send the link to conservED@doc.govt.nz
Entries from already existing investigations are welcome – it doesn’t have to be a new project and entries from both school groups and community groups are encouraged.